WRKO: Newsweek Off Air

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Mon May 16 17:22:25 EDT 2005

At 01:44 PM 5/16/2005 -0400, Bob Nelson wrote:

>I haven't read Newsweek in years so can't quite say what their political
>leanings are but they're still owned by the left-leaning Washington Post
>Company (and perhaps tow the line for them)... DePetro (and Roger
>Hedgecock, filling in for Rush) said that it falls in line with liberal
>media bias.

Umm, and of course DePetro and Rush's surrogate would be totally objective
about this, wouldn't they?  Let's get real about it-- Newsweek, Time and
U.S. News are all owned by corporations; all have long traditions of
covering the news (Time since 1923, Newsweek since about 1936, and ditto
for U.S. News-- sometime in the late 30s), and all try to do the best they
can, no matter who their owner might be.  I've seen no "liberal bias" in
Newsweek to speak of; some of their columnists are liberal, but some are
conservative-- it's pretty evenly divided. But their news coverage is
normally very thorough and accurate.  If you want liberal bias, try The
Nation.  But if you want conservative bias, try the Weekly Standard.  The
reality is that every magazine will make a mistake now and then.  Most of
the time, it proves nothing about bias and everything about journalists
being human.