Air America

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sun May 1 21:21:57 EDT 2005

>Uh, might want to check that again, Scott.  The only piece of Queens
>"directly across from UN headquarters" (E 44th Street and 1st Avenue in
>Turtle Bay) is the area just north of Newtown Creek, usually known as
>Long Island City.  Astoria is across from Harlem (and separated from it
>by Randall's Island, Hell Gate and the East River), nowhere near UN HQ.

Sid's right. I was thinking of the old WNYC-830 in Greenpoint, which is
visible from the FDR Drive south of the UN HQ (it's directly opposite 22nd
Street in Manhattan).

The WLIB site was at Vernon Blvd. and 30th Drive in Hallets Cove, opposite
the northern tip of Roosevelt Island (and E. 84th Street beyond.) It must
have been a heck of a signal at Gracie Mansion back in the day...