ESPN

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Mar 15 21:13:03 EST 2005

"Sutton" isn't a person, it's an investment house. (Well, there was
probably a Sutton involved at some point...)

The key player in all this is a woman named Jessamy Tang, who's the "J" in
"J-Sports." She's the one who'll be running the station and affiliating it,
apparently, with ESPN. WallerSutton is just loaning her the money to do it,
and if it doesn't work, they'll hold the paper on the licenses and be able
to reclaim them down the road. $9 million is essentially "bare stick value"
for those two licenses anyway, so the downside for WallerSutton is
relatively minimal. I don't know what Tang's finances are like, but she
comes from a sports-marketing background (including an MBA from MIT), so I
suspect that if nothing else, she created a nifty-looking business plan for
the whole thing.

I wouldn't draw very many connections, if at all, between the fate of an
ABC Radio Stations o&o like WEPN and the decisions made by ABC Radio
Networks about what sort of affiliation deal to offer a station in a
non-ABC market (yes, they own WMKI, but...) to carry one of the many, many
syndicated formats they offer. And I'm quite certain that nobody at the
corporate level in Disney is astute enough to draw the connection. They
have much, much bigger problems right now, which could - and here I'm being
very speculative - even result in the entire radio unit being spun off and
potentially split, with the stations going one way and the networks going
another.