True radio geek dream

Gary's Ice Cream gary@garysicecream.com
Fri Mar 11 12:59:46 EST 2005

Sounds suspiciously like the "Music & Memories Overnight" studio that WCAP
comes from - it is 3 feet from my bedroom - I can look up from bed at night
and see the LED VU's bouncing.  Of course the monitor works (especially if
you give it a good smack on the top when it starts to show all plasma
colors).

-gary francis

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Matthew Osborne
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 11:48 AM
To: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
Subject: True radio geek dream

Last night I had this very unusual dream that only other radio geeks can
truly appreciate or even understand.  I dreamed that I was at this radio
station somewhere, it it was located in someone's house.  The studio was
located in this closet off of the master bedroom, and it was a country
station.  It ran the show 'American Country Countdown,' and the studio had a
very odd setup.  It consisted of a computer without a working monitor, and a
small alarm clock with a CD player somehow wired into the system as the
studio CD player.  Because the countdown came in on CDs, the show actually
ran off of that alarm clock CD player.  Well, the first segment of the show
ended, and it came time for the first local commercial break.  Whoever was
working hit the wrong button on the computer, and some strange music started
playing over the air.  Since the computer monitor was broken, they couldn't
tell what they had done, panicked and switched the studio speakers to
something else to listen to.  At this point they asked me to fix the system.
All I did was came in, cued up the next show segment on the CD player,
switched the studio monitors back to where they belonged, the song playing
on the air was ending, and as it faded out, I started the next segment of
American Country Countdown.  At that point, everything went back to normal.

    So I guess that even though I've been out of radio for 4 years now, once
its in you you can't ever truly get it completely out of your system.

                                 Matt Osborne
                                 Poughkeepsie, NY