New Maine AM?

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Mar 7 19:42:56 EST 2005

1120 kHz 1 kW-D (two towers) 600W-N (three towers). According to the FCC's
AM Query, it's still just an application. The day pattern is a broad
modified cardioid aimed north-northeast (23 degrees). The night pattern is a
tight three tower pattern not unlike WTTT's night pattern but with smaller
lobes behind the array. The line of towers towers is at 132 degrees. The
towers are 195' so they won't be illuminated unless there is an airport
nearby. There should be four towers total, with one common between day and
night. Although the day-pattern minimum is to the south-southwest, the day
coverage will be OK in the southeast direction of the night pattern.

The original application specified ND days but the day tower was not common
with the night array, which used three very short towers and higher night
power (1 kW) to produce a pattern very similar to the one now being proposed
for night. My guess is that this WILL be granted. The question then will
become whether the applicant will go through with constructing. Don't know
what land costs are up there, but the acreage would not be considered
trivial down here. And you've got NIMBY's up there too. Once the land is in
hand and the necessary local permits have been granted, I think the
construction cost will be in the neighborhhod of half a million. Sounds like
a great chance to lose a good chunk of money.

--

Dan Strassberg
dan.strassberg@att.net