Boston Globe Article On Lowell Spinners Return To WCAP

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Jun 28 16:28:25 EDT 2005

>To my virtually certain knowledge, play-by-play coverage of sports is
>not considered a commercial for the team, even if the team is a
>for-profit entity.  If the team is underwriting part or all of the costs
>of the live coverage, that fact must be disclosed (sponsorship ID under
>Section 317), but that still doesn't make it a commercial.

On this, Sid and I agree :-)

There are plenty of examples of noncomms broadcasting play-by-play
professional sports, even within the NY-Penn League. My almost-hometown
Batavia Muckdogs, for instance, are heard on SUNY Brockport's WBSU 89.1.
The students there get some great experience calling the games, and the
team gets radio exposure that it otherwise would not.