Rex Trailer's Boomtown

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Sat Jun 18 23:10:58 EDT 2005

On 18 Jun 2005 at 14:04, Gary's Ice Cream wrote:

> I'm just sitting in front of the tv in what I can best desribe as
> "Nostalgia Overload" having just watched the "Rex Trailer's Boomtown"
> special on Channel 4. Memories that have been stored for 40 years have
> all come flooding back. Wow! Nice to see Donna Halper, Larry Glick,
> Jess Cain and so many more as part of the tribute.

I watched a little of it and taped the show so that I can watch the rest, probably tomorrow.
>From what I saw, what struck me was how old Rex Trailer looked and sounded.  I wouldn't
have recognized him without the caption.

This brings to mind a bit of an aside.  In October 1988, Buffalo Bob Smith and Clarabell were
making a personal appearance at the Hampshire Mall in Hadley, and I happened to be there
to see it.  When the show was over, and they were signing autographs, a UMass student
came up asking for Rex Trailer's autograph.

It seemed there was a scavanger hunt at UMass, and the organizers of the scavanger hunt
got things wrong.  They thought somehow that Rex Trailer was at the Hadley Mall, and his
autograph was one of the requirements of the scavanger hunt.  Buffalo Bob had no idea who
Rex Trailer was, but was happy to give them his autograph.  Being near the head of the line,
I explained that Rex Trailer was a local Boston personality who used to be on Saturday
mornings just before Howdy Doody.