WCBS-FM format change featured on NBC Nightly News

SteveOrdinetz hykker@grolen.com
Sat Jun 18 12:34:20 EDT 2005

Matthew Osborne wrote:
>When I heard that Jack-FM liner, I was like
>"NO WAY!  THEY DIDN'T!" and my girlfriend, who's not a
>radio geek at all, was like "didn't what?"  After I
>explained to her that WCBS-FM was not only one of the
>biggest oldies stations in the US, but one of the
>original stations that created the format, she was
>like "so, whats the big deal?  They changed, big
>whoop!"  She's carried that through, and has told me a
>couple times how amazed she was at how much that
>format change affected me and doesn't understand why
>I've make such a big deal out of it.  Then I proceeded
>to show her that it made not only Yahoo's news
>website, but also the many other places it has showed
>up, culimnating with the national NBC Nightly News
>story.  I wonder if she's finally starting to get it?
>

>     Oh well, I guess not all of us are hard core radio
>geeks (as I'm sure everyone else on ths list can
>understand)

Speaking as a fellow radio geek, I have to say that while it's sad to see a
heritage station change formats, life goes on.  A lot of us (myself
included) on this list grew up with Top 40 on WRKO, but it wasn't the end
of the world when they went talk.  I really don't see what the big fuss is
about.  "Jack" is to my ears, an oldies station for a different generation.