NERW: 'UMB CP for 'PAA slot; 6/15 for ESPN?

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 10:23:03 EDT 2005

On 6/13/05, Brian Vita <brian_vita@cssinc.com> wrote:

> Um, won't this put a crimp in to WMWM?

I'm guessing it won't, not any more than WPAA used to do. According to
yahoo maps,
Andover is 12.5 miles southwest of Haverhill; what I think WNEF (from
its transmitter in Amesbury) wants to do is push their signal a bit
more to the west and southwest (and maybe northwest), something they
couldn't do from Amesbury due to the presence of WPAA. With 'PAA
off, they applied to push their signal in those directions to expand
coverage but I don't
think WMWM would be affected.

Though then again, when WNEF first went on air, it was said that the
signal was being
pushed "away from Salem". Yet anyone who drives north on Rt 1-A notices that
WNEF starts mixing with WMWM by North Beverly or Wenham/Hamilton, and by Ipswich
it's pretty much WNEF only. Considering that the WNEF signal was
supposed to steer
away from WMWM's signal, it still did manage to chop off its/our
northern fringe.

As for WPAA I do know that there was a time I was driving in the
Harold Parker state
forest in Middleton and had WMWM on; suddenly I heard a "dead air
signal" followed
by WPAA signing on. WNEF might be infringing on that area with the
power increase
now, once the CP is accomplished.