Network newscasts on Boston radio

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Sun Jun 5 01:01:28 EDT 2005

On 3 Jun 2005 at 14:34, Joseph Pappalardo wrote:

> Unlike the old heavy handed days of group ownership where edicts come
> down from above....I think todays management of the larger groups is
> quite different.
>
> >From what I hear, in the CBS/Infinity family, stations are allowed to
> implement the plan that works for them, in their market for their
> station.

This was not always the case.  I've told this story before, but in January 1979, the day Ed
King took office as governor, I was on the steps of the State House as outgoing governor
Mike Dukakis made the traditional walk down the steps.  I had a transistor radio in my
pocket, with an earpiece in my ear, and it was tuned to WEEI, which was then the CBS
affiliate in Boston.

At noon, as Dukakis was walking down the stairs, WEEI cut away for the CBS network
news.  By the time the network news was over, Dukakis was heading down Beacon Street to
the Fanuel Hall Marketplace area, where there was to be a reception at the Agean Fair, a
Greek restaurant that then existed there.  The crowd around the State House was dispersing.

And on returning from the CBS network news, WEEI said that Governor Dukakis was "about
to" make his walk down the State House steps, and they pretended that they were covering
it live.