Network newscasts on Boston radio

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Thu Jun 2 12:05:15 EDT 2005

<<On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 11:22:36 -0400, Bob Nelson <raccoonradio@gmail.com> said:

> Finally, I remember years ago that CBS would have extended newscasts at 6 pm
> ("The World Tonight") and I think 8 am as well.

"CBS World News Roundup" -- I don't know if they're still doing it,
but I suspect they are.  The longer-form network newscasts were still
pretty popular in rural areas as of a few years ago.

Of course, if you consider our neighbor to the north, the "Canada at
Five" and "The World at Six" have been CBC fixtures for many years.
(Thirty years ago, the supper-time TV newscast on CBMT was called "The
City at Six" ["weekdays at six, on channel six"].)  Both programs run
on both R1 (news and information) and R2 (classical), so they must be
popular with some audience.  I don't know if BN or other Canadian news
services (if there are any left) do anything similar.

-GAWollman