Nashua Telegraph writer on Nashua Radio

Garrett Wollman wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Jan 14 14:06:02 EST 2005

<<On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:39:05 -0500, "rogerkirk" <rogerkirk@mail.ttlc.net> said:

> "This is WXYZ-FM licensed to the community Abracadabra. Our
> studios are not located in Abracadabra.  We devote 1% of
> our broadcast day to providing local service to the
> community of Abracadabra."

The problem is that the FCC seems define "local service" as
`irradiating the community with at least X mV/m of electric field at
least Y hours per day'.  The Commission these days does not seem to be
up to enforcing even that (as witness any number of silent stations
who haven't lost their licenses because they haven't told the
Commission that they were off the air).

-GAWollman