What to do?

Garrett Wollman wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Jan 13 00:33:09 EST 2005

<<On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:53:14 -0800 (PST), Roy Lawrence <lawrencemedia@yahoo.com> said:

> not *solely* live by numbers alone. Besides, the
> income would be what drives the format or do you
> believe these people have no major disposable income?

I believe that "these people" have the same income distribution as
other minority groups.  But if the Spanish-speaking audience is 5% of
the market, what's the percentage in being the fourth Spanish-language
station?  Particularly when a full-market FM is worth at least $50
million?  It does not seem likely to me that a Boston B that gets a 1
rating now would switch formats just for a chance at another 1
rating.  I could see a suburban FM doing it, except that we don't
really have any in the way that some other markets do.  (If Framingham
had a commercial A, I could see a bilingual Portuguese/Spanish music
format working there.  But our only commercial FM is a B with studios
in Dorchester and tx on the Pru.  101.7 might make sense as a
Lynn/Chelsea/Somerville station, but I'm not holding my breath for
Mindich to sell.  95.9 doesn't serve much Hispanic population; 97.7
could if it weren't being programmed for Dorchester and Roxbury.)

-GAWollman