Walmart and freedom of the press

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Thu Jan 6 14:32:39 EST 2005

I know most of us are in radio, but I thought I'd ask those of you who also
do some TV or print.  The other day, a mentally ill guy basically stripped
naked in a Walmart parking lot in Maryland.  A local news photographer for
the newspaper was in the area doing other stuff but when he saw the scene,
he snapped a picture (very tasteful, nothing obscene).  But Walmart tried
to confiscate his camera, citing a policy that no pictures can be taken on
Walmart property without permission-- not even pictures of breaking
news.  All pictures must be approved in advance-- here is their stated
policy.  Does this make sense to anyone?  Unless newspeople are psychic,
how are they supposed to do their jobs?

Wal-Mart's photo policy

Wal-Mart's policy that all photos taken on its property must be approved in
advance includes breaking news coverage, company spokeswoman Christi
Gallagher said.

The company requires the media - or anyone else - to get approval before
taking pictures in Wal-Mart stores or on Wal-Mart property, she said.

Asked if journalists photographing unexpected news, such as a fire, need
the same permission, Gallagher said they do.

After hours, a journalist should call the company's 24-hour corporate
hotline before taking pictures, she said.