Stations named after highways

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Tue Jan 4 11:51:59 EST 2005

Someone will surely provide a definitive answer to the question of when the
Interstate Highway system opened, but my guess is that many parts of it
existed by 1961. Whether I-91 near Amerst existed by 1961, I have no clue.
Seems as though the Mass Turnpike, with the exception of the extension
inside of Route 128, opened sometime around 1961. The extension opened a few
years after the rest of the Pike.

--

Dan Strassberg
dan.strassberg@att.net
Fax: 1-707-215-6367

----- Original Message -----
From: <SonnyDaye1@aol.com>
To: <boston-radio-interest@rolinin.BostonRadio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 11:26 AM
Subject: Stations named after highways

> Reading all this talk about naming stations after highways, I just
realized that I may have been a contributor to this concept. FORTY years ago
when I was doing the "Afternoon A-Go-Go" show on UMass' WMUA in Amherst
(91.1 FM), in my attempt to emulate the great Top 40 stations of the day
(e.g. WDRC, Hartford), I used to call our station "RADIO 91". I even made
jingles using that term. I won't get into the horrified looks on the
"higher-ups'" faces as I was turning what was, up to then, an FM, college
"educational" station, into a "Pseudo-Top 40, Personality-Type" station.
> Reading this thread, I realized that "Radio 91" COULD have referred to
nearby Interstate 91! Thus, am I the EARLIEST one to do this "highway
naming"?
> Did I invent the concept without even knowing it? I guess I FINALLY made
my mark in radio history! :-)
> WHOOPS! My wife just asked me if Route 91 (or the whole Interstate highway
system) even existed back then!