Stations named after highways

SonnyDaye1@aol.com SonnyDaye1@aol.com
Tue Jan 4 11:26:52 EST 2005

Reading all this talk about naming stations after highways, I just realized that I may have been a contributor to this concept. FORTY years ago when I was doing the "Afternoon A-Go-Go" show on UMass' WMUA in Amherst (91.1 FM), in my attempt to emulate the great Top 40 stations of the day (e.g. WDRC, Hartford), I used to call our station "RADIO 91". I even made jingles using that term. I won't get into the horrified looks on the "higher-ups'" faces as I was turning what was, up to then, an FM, college "educational" station, into a "Pseudo-Top 40, Personality-Type" station.
Reading this thread, I realized that "Radio 91" COULD have referred to nearby Interstate 91! Thus, am I the EARLIEST one to do this "highway naming"?
Did I invent the concept without even knowing it? I guess I FINALLY made my mark in radio history! :-)
WHOOPS! My wife just asked me if Route 91 (or the whole Interstate highway system) even existed back then!
Never mind.
-Sonny Daye