Air America's night signal

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Mon Jan 3 23:11:55 EST 2005

At 11:06 PM 1/3/2005, Garrett Wollman wrote:
><<On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 23:00:13 -0500 (EST), Stephanie Weil
><sven@gordsven.com> said:
>
> > Considering that WKOX is federally licenced, can't that over-ride some
> > hokey-pokey city council's decision?
>
>No.  Just because the Federal government says you *may* do something,
>does not imply that other levels of government must allow you to do
>it.  However, in our system, some regulatory powers are reserved to
>the Feds, so a locality must base its action on something that it has
>the legal authority to regulate.
>
>If the WKOX move had not involved substantial construction, the City
>of Newton would not have had authority to deny permission for the
>change.

And given that the stated reason for the city's denial of the construction
plans was concern about high RF levels in the neighborhood abutting the
site, I still can't understand why they didn't do it thusly: come up with a
plan for WUNR (the existing station there) to go from its current two-tower
5 kW night operation to five shorter towers, still with 5 kW, and hence no
additional RF concerns - and only THEN, once the towers were built, quietly
add WKOX and WRCA to the site?

So many mysteries...