Possible quick fix for WSMN? (was Re: Farewell WSMN; 1590 Dialspot Silent in Nashua)

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sun Feb 13 07:35:35 EST 2005

Pete: I think so. When WSRO 1470 (now WAZN) lost its site, it built a new
100' top-loaded tower in Hudson and operated under STA with (I think) 300W-D
and a few watts at night for something like four years. There was big-time
overlap between WSRO's previous 5 kW ND day signal from Fitchburg St and
either first-adjacent WBET or first-adjacents WBET and WSAR. Whether any
overlap remained after WSRO moved north to Hudson, reduced its power, and
changed to a less efficient antenna, I don't know. I guess the question is
if WSMN operates ND days from 900's tower, can it run some meaningful power
without increasing overlap with WUNR and maybe WARV. If not, is there
another site further north at which WSMN could construct a single 100'
top-loaded tower. A 100' tower, even without top loading, but with a
standard ground system, is actually a little bit more than tall enough to
produce minimum Class B efficiency at 1590, but using the guy wires for a
top load would increase the efficiency without increasing the cost very
much. There might also be a cell tower somewhere on the north side of Nashua
whose operator would be amenable to the installation of a skirt-fed Folded
Unipole antenna. If a site could be found from which WSMN's 5 mV/m contour
covered 80% of Nashua and the signal caused no prohibited overlap with any
station (including the application for 1580 in "Cordaville MA"--really just
a neighbohood in Framingham), WSMN could be licensed as a Class D AM and
could operate indefinitely.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367