Wall Street Week/Fortune

Bill O'Neill. billo@shoreham.net
Sat Feb 12 15:53:32 EST 2005

Damon Cassell wrote:

>Well, in reality, the biggest threat to radio is radio
>itself.

That sounds about right.  Radio has been falling all over itself in a
charade of balancing financial return with an attempt to be relevant,
locally.  That is where the point of diminishing returns steps in.
Invariably, good radio thinkers are weaker in the business side while
the latter sit in the corner office.

>Like the way
>they are trying to force the FCC to prohibit satellite radio from
>providing traffic updates. Same silly games the recording industry
>plays.

I have been listening to Sirius via Dish Network (6001-6099). The live
jocks taking calls, etc. There is a refreshing genuineness to it that
you don't get with terrestrial network music shows.  There's no canned
voice drop-ins with local calls - even the casual listeners knows that
it's bogus.

Once Sirius/XM is integrated into AM/FM/Sat radios, with a seamless
click of a preset, local radio will have to choose to either be history
or to do the very things that no satellite or national signal can
possibly do - be excruciatingly local as well as being accessible to
less affluent advertisers.

Bill O'Neill

--
"I'm always making a comeback but nobody ever tells me where I've been." Billie Holiday