Oldies Format

rogerkirk rogerkirk@mail.ttlc.net
Thu Dec 29 22:48:20 EST 2005

hykker@grolen.com noted:

>I've never been in a Dollar Tree store, but Hannaford supermarkets
>have their own "network" of sorts that's distributed to all their
>stores.  They have a surprisingly deep 50s/60s oldies mix in the
>morning, mid-days is 70s and afternoon/evenings it's a fairly hip AC
>mix.  Generic Hannaford-specific messages are interspersed at various
>intervals (not to be confused with individual store messages which
>over-ride the music/"network" messages).  When it switches from one
>era to another it's abrupt, and often in mid-song so it's likely
>they're using several music channels (Muzak?).  The switching is not
>done in the stores.  Could be Dollar Tree is doing something similar.
>(since the chain is headquartered in Portland, Me this is sort of on
>topic)

Dollar Tree specifically mentions "The Dollar Tree Network", but does
not announce song names or artists - just "glad you're enjoying the
music"  I haven't spent enough time there to detect a change in
musical styles between dayparts.

I guess a store could take music from any number of syndicated
offerings that could appeal to their demo's.  They just would be
able to clear spots.