Oldies Format

Brian Vita brian_vita@cssinc.com
Thu Dec 29 22:47:59 EST 2005

hykker@grolen.com wrote:

>>While shopping in a Dollar-Tree store 2 weeks ago, I was surprised and
>>refreshed to hear something new - The "Dollar Tree Network" not playing
>>Christmas Music, but "Unsafe Oldies."  '
>>

>I've never been in a Dollar Tree store, but Hannaford supermarkets have
>their own "network" of sorts that's distributed to all their stores.  They
>have a surprisingly deep 50s/60s oldies mix in the morning, mid-days is
>70s and afternoon/evenings it's a fairly hip AC mix.  G

Several years ago we looked at a marketing a background music system
from a company that claimed to be an off-shoot of some radio automation
company (they never identified which one).  They were leasing a
preloaded Pentium class computer with a customer tweaked playlist of
music.  You would program "formats" for each daypart, much as described
above.  The machine would call in every other day on its modem (pre
broadband days) and upload new music, delete old songs from the rotation
and send playlist reports for ASCAP/BMI licensing.  Customers would
subscribe to a format, such as AC or dinner jazz and could request
specific titles as well as being "force fed" adds.  The system also
would program in a "spot load" of client specific elements.

The company tweaked the product several times during our negotiations
and struck me as talking out of both sides of their mouths.  We elected
not to handle the product.  The company was "American Music
Environments" and they're still in business:

http://www.amemusic.com/

--
Brian T. Vita, President
Cinema Service & Supply, Inc.