WILD 1950's Stunt

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sun Dec 18 01:26:51 EST 2005

>On 16 Dec 2005 at 6:26, Dan Strassberg wrote:
>
> > I don't recall the stunt--but that doesn't mean it never happened. It
> > would most likely have happened when WILD was sold to Bartell Family Media
> > around 1958 or so--if memory serves.

Actually, it was in 1957.  WBMS was sold to Bartell on 5 September 1957, to
be exact.  The WBMS calls were dumped and WILD was born.  I recall
listening to it as a kid-- Wild Man Steve, Jimmy "Early" Byrd and others--
the only place in town to hear black music, although the top 40 stations
played some of the more mass appeal cross-over hits.