WILD 1950's Stunt

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sun Dec 18 00:46:47 EST 2005

On 16 Dec 2005 at 6:26, Dan Strassberg wrote:

> I don't recall the stunt--but that doesn't mean it never happened. It
> would most likely have happened when WILD was sold to Bartell Family Media
> around 1958 or so--if memory serves. (This was decades before "Family" in
> the name of a station owner implied a Christian format.) At the time,
> Bartell owned top-40 ratings powerhouses WOKY Milwaukee and KCBQ San
> Diego. I think the 1090 calls were WBMS until Bartell took over and
> flipped them to WILD.

What I remember is moving back to the Boston area from Albany in May 1957 and surveying
the AM dial to see what stations were where.  I missed 1090 the first time through because I
did that part of the dial at night.  I didn't know about daytime-only stations at that time -- we
didn't seem to have them in Albany.  Later, I found WBMS at 1090.

I don't remember any of the promotion of WILD, just that one day, as I was going down the dial,
I found 1090 and was surprised to discover that the call letters were now WILD.  That was the
first change of call letters that I experienced, and at first, I didn't quite realize that was what it
was and was puzzled by it.

And yes, the 1150 call letters were still WCOP.  They stayed WCOP until sometime in the
1970s.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581