WINS drops teletype bed

Shawn Mamros mamros@MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 7 11:39:10 EST 2005

>Maybe the teletype jammed or ran out of paper? *wink wink*
>
>In all seriousness, the machine making the effect could have jammed up.

One would think the sound effect would be on a hard drive system, like
everything else these days.  In the "old days", it would've been a
continuous-loop cart, but nobody uses those anymore (unless they've
got a fanatic CE who keeps one cart machine going solely for that
purpose!  Nah, they wouldn't do that...).

I'm sure Scott's also right in that they'd only use it for their AM
broadcast feed.  There might be something of a technical advantage
to having a source of constant "background noise" on an AM station
(with a format that's mostly vocal) to help drown out the usual background
static, something that isn't an issue for a webcast (or for FM, for
that matter).

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros -at- mit dot edu