Standard def reruns aired on HD [was Re: Todd Gross let Go??]

Larry Weil kc1ih@mac.com
Mon Dec 5 15:26:49 EST 2005

>Part of the problem may be that what's being re-run is a standard-def
>videotape made some time in the past, or a standard-def telecine is being
>used.  (Do stations that air reruns of series shot on film have actual reels
>of film in their library, or do they have videotapes?)

They have neither.  The library is kept by the syndicator, and the
individual shows fed by satellite a few days to a week prior to air,
complete with the current barter spots (commercials).  Usually the
contract with the station prohibits them from building up a library
of the show.

Besides, who uses tape anymore?  Everything you see aired on 7 that's
not live or network is aired directly from hard-drive servers, except
in an emergency.  We still run tapes as backups, but they rarely make
it to air.

Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH