'80s music, album tracks on WDRC-FM

Paul Anderson paulranderson@charter.net
Sun Aug 14 11:13:57 EDT 2005

On Aug 12, 2005, at 9:58 PM, SteveOrdinetz wrote:

> I'm pretty sure the Van Morrison tune was released on a single,
> though it wasn't much of a hit.  Was "Rosalita" a big T-40 hit in
> Hartford?  It seems a very odd choice...not an especially familiar
> tune...you don't even hear it much on classic rock stations.

Bruce Springsteen was very popular in Hartford, and played a LOT on
radio (WHCN and WPLR in particular) before Born to Run made him a
national star.  (This was true of Billy Joel also, and Earth Wind and
Fire was very popular too in the late 70s, at least at WCCC where I
worked.)

I'm sure WDRC and WPOP didn't play Rosalita.  But assuming WDRC-FM's
audience in 2005 listened to a number of stations in 1975, including
those who played Bruce Springsteen, I find it a natural addition to
their playlist, if they are aiming to play lots of popular songs from
the 60s and 70s.  WDRC-FM has always played songs that were popular
in Hartford, regardless of their national success.

It makes me feel old, though, to know Rosalita is being played on an
"oldies" station.  But I'm used to seeing restored '65 Mustangs
driving down the street with "antique" series license plates...

> Sounds like a PD who's setting things up for a down fall book.

Explain please.

Paul