Herald: WBZ fires Jonic after FBI story flap

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Thu Aug 4 16:57:36 EDT 2005

Various news organizations have spotlighted lapses in security numerous
times without recriminations.  The Sunday "60 Minutes" showed how easy it
is to infiltrate chemical plants and refineries;  Bill Moyer's "Now"
ran a segment on the terminal at Long Beach, CA where there are containers
as far as the eye can see, but not the ability to check them for
contraband;  individual TV stations and newspapers have uncovered gaps in
airport security.  If reporters were hesitant to uncover any deficiencies
in America's security apparatus, radio and TV news would be chock-a-block
with missing blonde stories, movie star infidelity stories and athlete
substance abusers.  We should be thankful that our media have not stooped
to that level!