Radio problems

Larry Weil kc1ih@mac.com
Tue Apr 26 18:34:19 EDT 2005

At 06:00 PM 4/26/2005, Cooper Fox wrote:
>Okay, so this is off topic and probably way too
>general to get help on.  But, here goes anyway.  I
>have a 1999 Chevy Malibu and the stock radio has
>suddenly decided to not pickup lower powered signals.
>Portland stations(we live approx 50 miles away) that
>used to be clear now do not come in at all.  At first
>I thought it was atmospheric interference, but I just
>checked the same stations in my wife's car and they
>are fine.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what the
>problem could be.  Yes, my next step is to have a
>mechanic look at it.  Thanks!

I doubt a mechanic would know what to do.

If both the AM and the FM signals are low, I'de suspect the antenna or the
antenna connection is bad.  It might be as simple as unplugging the antenna
lead from the radio, and plugging it back in.  Of course, you probably have
to pull the radio out of the dash to do this.

If the problem is specific to either AM or FM, you probably have a problem
with the radio itself.  It's probably cheaper and easier to replace the
radio with an aftermarket radio than to try to fix it.

In either case, a car radio shop would know more than a mechanic.

Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH