Radio problems

John Francini francini@mac.com
Tue Apr 26 18:29:50 EDT 2005

There's two possible problems:

a) the antenna and/or its cable has gone bad;

b) the radio itself has gone bad.

My guess is that it's more likely to be the antenna rather than the
radio, especially if this happens on both AM and FM.

Does this car have a normal fender-mount whip antenna?  If not  --
you'll definitely need the dealer to solve the problem.

Why? Because if there's no fender-mount antenna, then the antenna is
built into the glass of either the windshield or rear window.  Not
particularly "user-serviceable".

My suspicions: corrosion where the windshield antenna connects to the
antenna cable, a bad antenna cable, or a broken antenna wire (embedded
in the glass).

HOWEVER, if has an ordinary whip antenna, then things are a bit easier.
You can still have corrosion at the antenna-cable junction or something
wrong with the whip itself, or the antenna cable might have gone bad.
The good news is that the repair is much simpler and cheaper, since the
windshield won't need to be replaced.

Hope these help,

John Francini