(no subject)

SteveOrdinetz hykker@grolen.com
Fri Apr 22 18:08:26 EDT 2005

  Keating Willcox wrote:
>in re: Jack or Mike or whomever,
>
>The real star in all this is 92.5, a very creative mixture of songs that
>are related by theme, artist, composer, or something more arcane. Exactly
>what happened when radio was first on, WNEW in New York and WBCN in
>Boston. Jocks would make playlists that were very creative and showed
>music knowledge and a sense of creativity. And a sense that their
>listeners were important, and that the craft of selecting songs for a
>playlist is important.

AAA is fine at what it does, but it is not everybody's cup of tea.  IMHO
the music selection is just as narrow as any other format, and while there
is some interesting stuff, the River (and other AAAs) plays way too much
obscure music for my taste.  Free-form radio died for a reason...the jocks
were (generally) programming for themselves...if the audience happened to
like it-fine, but if not-tough.  I doubt the jocks at the River get to
program what they feel like.

>Think about it. Why are so many of our listeners switching to Ipod, paying
>for what they could get for free. I hope Mike or its relatives can infuse
>our medium with a new standard of creativity.

The appeal of Ipods is that you can load it up with nothing but songs you
like.  If you want to hear nothing but Korn and Britney Spears you can do
it.  Radio obviously can't do that.