Everything revolves around Boston - NOT!

Steve West stevewest106@hotmail.com
Mon Apr 4 08:27:31 EDT 2005

Our Esteemed Moderator wrote:

>One of the things that pissed me off when visiting Boston while
>growing up in Vermont was the attitude on the part of Boston and
>Bostonians that all of New England revolved around eastern Mass.  Get
>a grip guys; the other four states would get along perfectly well (if
>not better) without you.
>
>-GAWollman

I can remember when I worked in radio in Western Mass., AP's state news was
mainly focused on events occurring inside Rt. 495 with a bit of coverage of
the regional cities - but virtually nothing on issues that meant something
to us out in the Pioneer Valley.

Maybe that's what made me the dial-flipper and DX hound that I am - to get
interesting news which was NOT about Boston, I'd flip to WTSA Brattleboro
(they had a great newsman at the time, Larry Smith (Southern Vermont Radio
News is how they packaged it)...  WKNE Keene, WHAI Greenfield (before I
worked for them), even WGY out in Albany - they had a great signal in
Western/Central Mass and did lots of news... none of it revolving around
Boston!  And, strangely enough, the first 3 that I mentioned back in the
early 80s simulcast at least the news on their FMs.  WTSA 1450's FM was
called WMMJ, WKNE 1290's FM was WNBX-FM and both did beautiful music.

How did I get so far off topic?.... sorry!