NY Times Jr. Cops Out

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Fri Sep 24 17:51:45 EDT 2004

Subject: Re: NY Times Jr. Cops Out

> At 04:09 PM 9/24/2004 -0500, Laurence Glavin wrote:
>
> > > Perhaps what they meant by "public" radio stations is NPR affiliates.
>
> Noting first that the term "public radio" wasn't even really used in the US
> broadcasting environment until about 1970, I'd draw a distinction between
> the WERSes and WBURs of the world.
>
> I would agree with the Globe in defining a public radio station as one that
> is listener- and underwriter-supported and which considers itself open to
> and answerable to the community at large.
> At heart, though, WRIU (and all the other campus noncomms in Rhode Island)
> are student clubs, answerable only to the student body or perhaps the
> college administration. There's not a single station on the NCE band in
> Rhode Island that I'd classify as "public" radio in the sense in which the
> word is commonly understood.
>
> Mark this phrase down, as you won't often see it coming from my keyboard:
> The Globe got this one right.

The comment "answerable only to the student body, etc"  has
one caveat:  any station is answerable come renewal time.
I don't recall ever listening to WRIU, but imagine this
scenario:  WRNI is in fact sold to a commercial interest that
goes in a completely different direction, ethnic, "religious, etc.
Then Rhode Islanders, used to what they heard on WRNI, tune in to
WRIU, and the latter proves to be a juvenile jukebox.  Then they
form an association to deny WRIU's renewal unless the
the station become a CPB, NPR authorized affiliate.Or failing that
they set up a Rhode Island Public Broadcasting entity,
a la NH Public Radio.