music and politics on radio

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Sun Sep 19 22:57:23 EDT 2004

On 19 Sep 2004 at 10:59, Bob Nelson wrote:

> Country stations later wound up re-instating the Chicks, though
> (and some liberal-leaning public radio stations actually added
> the Chicks to their playlist during the controversy, like the
> folk show at Kent State's WKSU).

CMT kept airing the Dixie Chicks during that time, with a rather patriotic song, "Traveling
Soldier."

> Ingraham's attitude is: look, you entertain us and leave the politics to
> the experts. Then again, I'm sure many conservatives don't mind if someone
> like Charlie Daniels gets up on stage and sings "This Ain't No Rag, It's A
> Flag" or "In America" and talks about supporting the war...though I guess
> if a concert were promoted as also being a "support the troops and
> President" rally, people would at least know what they're in for. Who
> knows.

But in the Vietnam Era, many songs were written with a political theme, most of them anti-
war, etc.  It has been noted that there are very few such protest songs now.  It has also been
noticed that there are artists who are against Bush's war policies and have written anti-war
songs, but they aren't getting airtime in the current climate.