WSYY Jock

Rod O'Connor rjoc@webtv.net
Thu Sep 16 19:03:55 EDT 2004

Speaking of WSYY tower. They seem to be broadcasting at lower power
lately, maybe
even from another site or their old tower. Their signal doesn't
interfere with WHOM as much as it used to.

I especially noticed it on my last few trips down south. Coming back
north on 95 WHOM always used to pick up interference by the time I hit
Waterville. Most recent trips I carefully monitored them, and their
signal stayed rock solid to the  US2/ME Routes 7/100  Moosehead Trail
exit in Newport. (25 miles west of Bangor)

Even better indicator is a trip to the top of 1500 foot Cadillac
Mountain here on Mount Desert Island. Usually WHOM and WSYY were in
constant battle for the dial at top of mountain in the parking areas.
Several times since June I have had mostly solid WHOM at the peak (A
little interference from "Magic 94.9" Wolfville, Nova Scotia)  WHOM
stayed solid just about all the way down the peak and into Bar harbor,
on east side of mountain. There were only a couple of north-facing
shadows were I could even barely pick up WSYY, where they used to be
dominant.

Keep an eye on the Magic City News internet page for latest in the legal
developments on WSYY.

Good excuse to take a day trip up there to investigate for myself. Last
hiked up to their tower on Hammond Ridge a couple summers ago.

Rod O'Connor
Southwest Harbor Maine