WDEA-1370 STILL off the air.

rogerkirk rogerkirk@mail.ttlc.net
Mon Sep 13 15:15:47 EDT 2004

rjoc@webtv.net (Rod O'Connor) wrote:

>As of today,Sunday, Sept. 12th Local AMer WDEA-1370 has been off
>the air 24 days.  They were unable to obtain replacement parts
>for the two 50-year old main and "back-up" transmitters.
>What a shame this station has been neglected over the past few years.

To play Devil's Advocate here, it has long been recognized here
in the Northeast that both local custom and local wisdom dictate
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"  And quite frankly that extends
to luxuries like preventive maintenance.  Here in New England,
we do little to prolong the life of roads, bridges, buildings, cars, etc. We just wait until they break, then wring our hands, beg, borrow and steal to get them fixed - just barely.

Look at the University Ave bridge in Lowell, MA.  After eons of neglect, the authorities shut it down - first to Busses and trucks, then to cars and finally to pedestrians.  I'll bet it'll be years before it it's fixed - if ever.  Meanwhile the citizens of Lowell take it on the chin (or dashboard in the case of commuters) once again with monumental inconvenience and staggering traffic re-routes that change when the Spinners play, etc.

Remember that "temporary bridge" over the Merrimack River built by the Army Corp of Engineers some 20-odd years ago?  It's in sad shape and I'll wager they'll continue to neglect it until they have to build a temporary temporary bridge.  And the old one will sit unused and decaying.

To quote your typical Downeasternah:  "We don't spend unless we're forced ta.  We call it frugal.  That's the way we wuz brought up.  Ayuh!"