How big media shortchange the public

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sun Sep 5 22:29:30 EDT 2004

I am not convinced it's a matter of right wing media or left wing
media.  Frankly, I think there is news on both sides that is overlooked or
under-reported, and as a citizen, I just wanna be informed.  I want both
sides of the issues.  Consider this:  when I was in college, back in the
Viet Nam era, I started off like Kerry (and don't read anything into this--
this isn't about politics; it's about historical fact) and supported the
war.  But also like Kerry, I became very disillusioned-- not for the
reasons he did, but because friends of mine were dying and yet the
government (which back then was run by President Johnson, a Democrat) was
lying to us about it--  they said we were winning, but that wasn't true, as
Walter Cronkite (also originally for it, but later against it) found out
first-hand.  I wanted the media to tell the truth instead of just repeating
what the people in power said.  It wasn't about political parties-- it was
about why were so many people dying if we were winning the war?  These
days, people on both sides of the political aisle wanna know what's really
going on in Iraq-- and why we are there at all is still a bone of
contention.  Fox cheerleads too much-- they oughta do more investigative
reporting, and this president and his administration is as secretive as
Nixon and Johnson were.  Meanwhile, CNN tries so hard not to offend that it
doesn't clarify the issues much at all.  And who knows what NPR is up to
lately?  Bottom line-- it ain't about evil Republicans or nasty Democrats--
that's an oversimplification.  It's about being informed and not being fed
a bunch of  partisan spin that hides the real issues.