Moderator absence

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Wed Sep 1 07:38:05 EDT 2004

Dan Strassberg wrote:

>Joking, right? I've been a member of NRC for about 10 years and in all
>that time, in DX News, the club magazine, I don't think I've EVER seen the
>name of a female contributor.
>There is nothing about DXing that should make it such a completely
>male-dominated hobby. Several women engineers contribute regularly to Barry
>Mishkind's Broadcast Engineering mailing list, but these are people who WORK
>in radio and TV. Although they may also be radio hobbyists--many who work in
>the industry are--these women contribute to Barry's list because of their
>professional connection with the industry--not because they are hobbyists,
>if, indeed, they are.

Dunno, it just seems like a "guy" hobby, don't think I've ever known any
women who were even slightly interested in it...even geeky tech-types
aren't THAT geeky.  :-0  Sort of like the male-female ratio at a Star Trek
or 3 Stooges convention.

Other than Rachel E., I can't think of any other women who contribute to
the broadcast.net boards either (and as you said, she's employed in the
industry).