WGIR: ESPN Sox coverage instead of Joe and Jerry?

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@myway.com
Sun Oct 24 11:33:33 EDT 2004

>>The reason you got the ESPN feed is because ESPN owns the broadcast rights to the World Series.  The flagship stations of each team are allowed to use their own announcers, in this case WEEI and KMOX/St. Louis, but everyone else gets ESPN.

In Boston, WEEI is also the ESPN affiliate. We're only hearing
the Red Sox radio broadcast, and not the ESPN one (as far as I know);
but in certain other cities, if they had a team in the WS, _both_
could conceivably be available. For example, had the dreaded and
despised Yankees won, you would be able to hear the Yanks net
via WCBS 880 _and_ probably the ESPN broadcast (most likely
on WEPN 1050). But since WEEI is the ESPN affiliate and they
don't want to let another station take the ESPN feed and cut
their audience, we don't have that option (if, for example,
one wished to hear an alternative to Joe and Jerry).