Stern dollars

David Tomm nostaticatall@comcast.net
Tue Oct 12 01:35:21 EDT 2004

People seem to forget that last year Stern's numbers were down
significantly from previous years.  He was off 20%, even more in some
markets.  His battles with the FCC and Clear Channel helped to spike
his numbers considerably over the last few books.   Take away the
controversies surrounding him and what do you have?  A dirty old man
interviewing strippers and c-list celebrities.

Also, Stern has the most loyal followings (and gets the best ratings)
in the markets where his show has been on the longest, like New York,
LA, DC, Philadelphia and Boston.  He's just another morning show in
most of his other markets.  This doesn't bode well for a national
rollout on subscription radio.

If Sirius can get a bunch of the Stern diehards in the Northeast to
sign up and get a few of their friends and family to get the service as
well, they will make back their investment.  However, I don't see Stern
being the huge draw to satellite radio that Sirius and the industry are
hoping he'll be.  Outside of his battles with terrestrial radio, his
show has gotten stale and predictable. Using four letter words and
talking about racier topics won't save it.

Dave Tomm
"Mike  Thomas"