Stern dollars

Steve West stevewest106@hotmail.com
Fri Oct 8 09:25:25 EDT 2004

>I'd like some of whatever it is Stern is smoking.  While satellite radio is
>a good place for shock jocks like him, Bubba the Love Sponge, Dopey &
>Anthony and others of their ilk, I can't see it "blowing up" FM anytime
>soon, if ever.  If anything "blows up" terrestrial radio it will be IBOC.
>
>I'm amazed that his "persecuted artiste" schtik has held up all these
>years.  Would serve him right if the move bombed badly

I'm not sure Stern is so far off base.  I think that in time, what we know
as commercial AM and FM will radically change, but not completely due to
Stern's move.  Here's my theory:

1. The FM stations which will see a big void with Stern's departure in their
morning drive will have to come up with something.  My guess is that most
will simply do wall-to-wall music for a time, to lessen the effect his
departure will have on whomever the unfortunate next morning host is.
Inevitably, these stations will have to move to a more local, information
intensive approach.

2. I think we will see a major push by the two satellite broadcasters to get
Americans to purchase new home receivers.  This, coupled with XM & Sirius
being available as standard features in cars & trucks will make the medium
instantly available, pretty much on demand.  Couple that, with the satellite
broadcasters' hiring most of the major terrestrial talent away, I think will
make satellite a major attraction to listeners.

3. If XM/Sirius ever figure out that they could provide a 'basic' free
subscription package with a few limited music and news/talk channels to
attract an initial audience then intice them to purchase an enhanced
package, you guys better figure out that terrestrial radio is essentially
doomed, except for the few FM stations which understand that they key to
success will be a full-service format, modelled after what AM was doing in
the late 70s/early 80s.   As for AM... under this scenario, it is all but
dead.  HD Radio (IBOC, for those who care) is an abysmal failure and anyone
who has studied it knows this fact.  If the FCC pushes ahead with its
requirements that all stations go digital, on time... the end is near.
(perhaps that's why my station cluster just this fall has inked sports
contracts with the major pro teams for live games on each of it's stations.
Foresight?)

Stern?   Aside from delusions of grandeur, he is correct in a number of
areas about the demise of traditional AM & FM.  But whether or not one
believes that, one thing is certain:  all things evolve, and the next
logical step for broadcasting is for the total music 'stations' to be done
nationwide via satellite, and FM to be the place for your local information
with some music and lots of talk.  That's the inevitable evolution of radio,
IMHO.