Air America

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Tue Oct 5 01:40:03 EDT 2004

On 4 Oct 2004 at 1:57, Bob Nelson wrote:

> yes--some of them included, in addition to "Revolution":
> Neil Young, "Rockin' in a Free World"
> Bruce Springsteen, "Born in the USA"
> Green Day, "American Idiot"
> The Who, "We Won't Get Fooled Again"

And when I heard it, I thought it was "Talkin' in a Free World," which would have been even
more appropriate.

> needless to say, songs one would not have expected on WXKS (or
> WJIB) and songs that were known to many people of a slightly younger age
> group (they could have thrown in some more unknown songs, like stuff by
> the Dead Kennedys). I think they put the hard edge (well, harder than what
> WXKS had been playing, certainly) to attract the young liberal audience.

And annoy the older liberal audience, I'm afraid.  I would have liked to hear some of the other
songs you've mentioned.  In fact, I wonder why Bob doesn't play them.

While Bob was right, the music they were playing probably does sound rather obnoxious to
the old "Music of Your Life" audience, it wasn't just random music or a thumbing of nose at
the audience of the old format.  It was a promotion of the coming format.

While listening to the Stephanie Miller show this morning, I was surprised to hear a
commercial from the Coast Guard.  The government is advertising on a left-wing station?