Cities where a format dominates?

David Tomm nostaticatall@comcast.net
Mon Oct 4 22:53:28 EDT 2004

Sheer numbers of stations don't always tell the story.  Ratings do.
Knoxville TN has a couple of country stations, but the top performing
station, WIVK, gets something like a 22 share.  Johnson City, TN has a
similar situation with WXBQ.  Huge ratings.  I'd say that country is
dominant in those two markets, even though there are only a couple of
stations in each programming that format.

If you want to talk numbers of outlets, markets like Philadelphia,
Washington DC and Detroit have multiple stations playing various
flavors of Urban music.  Memphis has three Urban AC's, three Urban
Oldies, two mainstream Urbans, and an Urban leaning smooth jazz
station.  That's nine stations serving the African American audience in
that city.  In fact, the top four stations in Memphis are urban
formatted!

Not to be outdone, Miami has nine stations with at least a one share
running a Spanish language format.  Los Angeles also has nine Spanish
stations.  Those are the most glaring examples I can think of off the
top of my head.

Dave
"Mike Thomas"