Cities where a format dominates?

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@myway.com
Mon Oct 4 12:58:37 EDT 2004

This should be interesting: can any of you name a city where a certain format is really, really dominant? There are just a TON of stations with that format?

In Dallas or Nashville, you have a ton of stations playing country, of course. It could be hot new country, or country oldies or even country-rock. In Seattle, it seems (from looking at 100000watts.com) there's LOTS of talk.

And I'll throw in Birmingham, AL, where gospel and black gospel is king.

I'll just list the AM stations--there are also more than a few FMs
with a gospel or "religious" format.

WAGG
610 kHZ Format: Black Gospel
Slogan: Heaven 610

WURL
760 kHZ Format: S. Gospel
Slogan: Where-U-R-Loved

WXJC
850 kHZ Format: Gospel
Slogan: All Music, All Jesus, All The Time

WATV
900 kHZ Format: Black Gospel
Network: Sheridan - The Light
Slogan: The Light

WAYE
1220 kHZ Format: Black Gospel/Religious
Slogan: Gospel 1220

WLPH
1480 kHZ Format: Black Gospel
Network: Willis Broadcasting Network
Slogan: The Lord's Power House

6 out of 15 stations on AM are gospel (and, again, more on FM)