AA in early 60's style two-station AM stereo!

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Sun Oct 3 14:55:25 EDT 2004

> From: "Bob Nelson" <raccoonradio@myway.com>
> Date: Sun,  3 Oct 2004 10:24:39 -0400 (EDT)
> To: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
> Subject: RE: AA in early 60's style two-station AM stereo!
>
> I noticed this, too, and (probably incorrectly) thought that
> when a stereo record was presented on a mono signal it "chose"
> one speaker and that's all you got.

That is incorrect. Normally you should get both channels mixed to
mono. However, certain stereo records (especially back in the 60's)
were produced with phase errors or other weird imbalances in the
stereo mix which could cause diminished levels or cancellation of
certain tracks of the music when mixed to mono.

Beyond that, if you're only hearing one channel on a mono radio or
mono station, there's a problem with the stations equipment, board
settings or airchain, or if it's a network feed, they're only
linking one side.

Eli