AA in early 60's style two-station AM stereo!

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Sun Oct 3 05:59:51 EDT 2004

Anyone remember the occasional two-station "AM stereo"
broadcasts in the late 50's and early 60's in which one
local station broadcast the left channel and another
station broadcast the right, and you used two radios to
hear the stereo effect?

Well, it's back!

I tuned into the Air America promos on WXKS playing
"Revolution" by The Beatles, and there were no drums.

I switched to WKOX and the drums were there, but the
guitar was gone.

WXKS is airing only one stereo channel of the feed,
and WKOX is airing only the other!

I put a different radio on each station, and voila,
full true stereo separation!

I'd imagine that this is a completely unintentional
and inadvertent feature...

Eli Polonsky