WLLH off air

Bill O'Neill billo@shoreham.net
Sat Nov 27 22:51:00 EST 2004

Scott Fybush wrote:

> Indeed, there's little trace of it now in the FCC's CDBS database.
> Best I can come up with is file # BREX-201, which was the 1978 license
> to cover for the Lawrence signal (presumably when both went up to a
> kilowatt?)
>
> The FCC's database has always been a little flaky when it comes to
> records for experimental operations, which WLLH's Lawrence signal is
> and has always been. (If it were granted now instead of 65 years ago,
> it would have a callsign like WL2XLH, I suspect.)

Yes, I think it was 78 when they were granted to go up from 250 night to
stay at a kW.  I remember an FCC tech I spoke with years ago who said
that the legal ID was "WLLH Lowell _and_ Lawrence" or Lawrence _and_
Lowell. Either was fine.  The "and" was part of the ID.  The ID could
have also been "WLLH Lowell WLLH Lawrence" but that would have been too
silly.

Bill O'Neill