Wisc. talk host makes racist remark about Rice

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Sat Nov 20 01:04:35 EST 2004

On 19 Nov 2004 at 13:04, Donna Halper wrote:

> Now, that
> having been stated, I have heard some political humour on Air America that
> I didn't find terribly funny, but I've heard some on right wing stations
> that was equally unamusing.  Btw, I heard Dr Rice called an "oreo" by a
> guest on the Al Franken show, but lots of people, both conservative and
> liberal, have been called that by people who think the person in question
> is "acting white"--- paying more loyalty to white people in positions of
> power than standing up for the rights of black people.  It's not something
> I agree with, but the epithet is often used by black commentators as well
> as white ones, and Dr Rice was not singled out, based on commentary I've
> heard on Air America.

I believe the epithet "oreo" may have originated as something that Blacks called other
Blacks.  Not a racist but a political epithet.  I'm under the impression that calling someone
an "Aunt Jemima" is, at least in some circles, the female equivalent of calling someone an
"Uncle Tom."

For some reason today's Al Franken show seemed to be a rerun of last Thursday's show.
He had a couple of humor items that I didn't particularly think were funny.  The first was a
bogus news story about the Bush daughters joining the Marines to fight in Iraq.  The second,
which I thought was in worse taste and more pointless politically, was a supposed interview
with the pillow used to smother Arafat.