Wisc. talk host makes racist remark about Rice

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Fri Nov 19 13:04:29 EST 2004

Bob N. wrote:

>http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1283886/posts?page=16
>Double standard here? Or is racism OK when the person
>you're attacking is a black _conservative_?

Oh please, let's all calm ourselves.  Free Republic is such an arch
right-wing website that they have accused Bill Clinton of murder and said
that Hillary orchestrated the deaths of political opponents.  I don't take
seriously anything that Freepers say because they are soooo prone to
exaggeration and hateful rhetoric against those they dislike.  Now, that
having been stated, I have heard some political humour on Air America that
I didn't find terribly funny, but I've heard some on right wing stations
that was equally unamusing.  Btw, I heard Dr Rice called an "oreo" by a
guest on the Al Franken show, but lots of people, both conservative and
liberal, have been called that by people who think the person in question
is "acting white"--- paying more loyalty to white people in positions of
power than standing up for the rights of black people.  It's not something
I agree with, but the epithet is often used by black commentators as well
as white ones, and Dr Rice was not singled out, based on commentary I've
heard on Air America.