Air America

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Fri Nov 12 02:00:35 EST 2004

On 11 Nov 2004 at 18:50, Daniel Billings wrote:

> We have used voting machines in this country for a hundred years that
> don't produce a paper trail.  New York still uses mechanical voting
> machines where one votes by making ones choices with switches and then
> pulling a lever. Nobody ever complained about the use of these machines.
> They are mechanical and not run by computers but lots of things can go
> wrong with simple machines.

Those machines are an old and simple technology and are highly reliable.  They don't show
more votes for a candidate than there are voters.  They don't count votes negatively.  And
they do have control counters to make sure they have been set correctly at the start.   The
major error comes from the tally of the results from the machines, and that can be
recounted.  The new technology has a lot of glitches and no way of tracing them.

As an example of what can be detected and fixed with the old voting machines, in the 1970
race for State Representative in Brookline, John Businger's campaign manager had reports
from every precinct which, when added up, showed a narrow win.  He was surprised to learn
that the figures at Town Hall showed a narrow defeat.

He went to Town Hall and checked his figures against theirs and found that it came down to
one machine, on which Town Hall's tally showed 5 votes for Businger, but his tally showed
55 votes.  It then became possible to check the numbers at the back of the machine, which
did indeed show 55 votes.  And that's how Businger won the first of 14 terms in the
Legislature.  (His opponent had already finished holding his victory party when he learned the
news that he hadn't won after all.)