Air America

Daniel Billings billings@suscom-maine.net
Thu Nov 11 18:50:03 EST 2004

> Only problem is, as multiple news organizations have reported, and as
> CBS' 60 Minutes adequately demonstrated, many of the newer
> computer-based voting machines do not produce a paper trail or any other
> sort of independently verifiable count.  A recount, in those cases,
> would be simply asking the machine to regurgitate the exact same numbers
> it spit out the first time.  I can't speak for anyone else, but to me
> that's not a recount.

We have used voting machines in this country for a hundred years that don't
produce a paper trail.  New York still uses mechanical voting machines where
one votes by making ones choices with switches and then pulling a lever.
Nobody ever complained about the use of these machines.  They are mechanical
and not run by computers but lots of things can go wrong with simple
machines.